It’s springtime in Colorado, and the weather is getting warmer. Now is a great time of year to start taking your dog to one of the several off leash dog parks in Douglas County! Castle Rock, Lone Tree, Parker, Castle Pines Village and all other surrounding communities in Douglas County are all very dog-friendly and offer several off leash dog areas in which your furry friends can run and play without being confined to the length of a leash.
If you would like to bring your dog to one of the many parks, trails and/or open space areas in Douglas County, please make sure to remember that each area has rules and regulations regarding dogs. Some public parks, trails and open space offer off-leash areas but others require that dogs be on a leash at all times. Before assuming that a dog may or may not be on a leash in any given area, make sure to view the Dog Off Leash Brochure published by the Douglas County Divisions of Parks & Trails and Open Space & Natural Resources.
Some of the key points mentioned in the brochure include:
- Dog owners must immediately clean up and properly dispose of all dog waste to avoid the possibility of a fine.
- Dog owners with dogs that are not leashed in areas that require a leash run the risk of a fine.
- Sick, aggressive, unvaccinated, and dogs in heat are not allowed in Douglas County off-leash dog areas.
List of Parks and Open Space that Offer an Off – Leash Dog Area in Douglas County:
- Chatfield State Park
- Rover’s Run at Redstone Park
- Fido’s Field at Foothills Park
- Hound Hill at Highland Heritage Park
- David A. Lorenz Regional Park
- Glendale Farm Open Space
- Bayou Gulch Regional Park
- Fairgrounds Regional Park
- Devon’s Dog Park at Greenland
*More information on each of the off leash dog parks in Douglas County listed above can be accessed here – including a description of each area and directions on how to get to each location.
Other Pet-Friendly Areas in Colorado
If you would like more information on other off-leash dog areas throughout the state of Colorado, visit the website BringFido.com. This website provides detailed information on topics such as:
- Off leash dog parks throughout Colorado
- Dog friendly hiking trails in Colorado
- A directory of pet services in the state
- And much more…
Pet Adoption in Douglas County
Are you looking to adopt a dog, cat, horse, or any other type of domestic pet? A great place to start your search is the Denver Dumb Friends League (DDFL) Buddy Center in Castle Rock. The DDFL is an organization that rescues homeless animals and adopts them to new homes. There are two DDFL locations. The main facility is in Denver, and the “Buddy Center” is located Castle Rock. Both locations offer pet adoptions, lost-and-found services, and education classes for the general public.
- Denver Dumb Friends League Buddy Center Location: 4556 Castleton Court, Castle Rock, CO 80109
- Denver Dumb Friends League Main Location: 2080 S. Quebec Street, Denver, CO 80231
Additional Pet Adoption and Pet Rescue Organizations in Douglas County: