Updated – 9/4/2016
Notes from the township:
- The speed limit is 35 mph. Please drive safely and pay extra attention.
- It may take some time for traffic to level out as we all find our new road routine. Traffic could be extra heavy on Castle Rock Parkway as motorists try using the new road. Meadows Parkway is still a good route to U.S. Highway 85 an I-25!
- At U.S. 85, there is a full interchange, so drivers can access both directions of the highway and Castle Rock Parkway. It’s controlled by one signal span, so drive carefully and follow the signs and striping.
- At I-25, a roundabout gives drivers access to all direction. Remember to yield to traffic already in the circle.
Relief is on the way for frustrated Castle Rock drivers! The North Meadows Extension is a planned construction project designed to ease traffic congestion for the Meadows community and to help relieve traffic that is expected with the future growth of the area.
Because the Meadows Community in Castle Rock, Colorado is one of the fastest growing communities in Douglas County and the community is experiencing tremendous growth, the Town Council approved plans in 2013 to connect The Meadows to HW-85 and I-25.
The original North Meadows Extension plan included the following:
- The extension of North Meadows Drive east of Castle View High school
- The connection of North Meadows Drive to HW-85/Santa Fe Drive
- A new interchange at I-25 and Meadows/Founders Parkway
On February 22, 2016, an article in the Castle Rock News-Press, Castle Rock Parkway to Be Four Lanes, announced that additional improvements were recently approved for the extension project that include:
- Widening Castle Rock Parkway to four lanes instead of two
- Adding bypass lanes to the roundabout at the I-25 interchange
Why Four Lanes Instead of Two?
According to the Castle Rock News-Press article, the necessity for four lanes instead of two for the North Meadows Extension became more apparent after construction began on the new Promenade – a shopping area that will cover more than 166 acres once completely built. When the extension project was originally planned, the Promenade development plan had not yet been finalized.
The Promenade is currently under construction and shops will open for business in phases through the year 2018. Located near the Outlets at Castle Rock at I-25 and Highway 85, the shopping area will undoubtedly result in heavier traffic in the area, which should be alleviated by the widening of the Parkway and the extension project.
More Information About the Extension
Additional facts about the extension can be found in the article Portion of North Meadows Extension to be Widened Before Opening. This article includes details on the following topics:
- A brief history of when and why the need for the expansion was recognized
- The cost of the expansion project and who will pay for it
- The reasons it makes sense to work on the expansion now, instead of waiting