Each year, the end of the month of May signifies a few things: the school year is coming to an end, swimming pools will soon be open for the season, and consistently warm weather is here to stay for the next few months!
The last Monday in May is also the day in which Memorial Day is traditionally celebrated across the United States. Memorial Day is a federal holiday that allows Americans to take a break from working, and spend time remembering and commemorating individuals who passed away while on active military duty.
In honor of everyone who gave their life for their country, many cities and towns host Memorial Day celebrations or festivals.
Memorial Day Veterans’ Service of Remembrance
The American Legion Post 1187 will host a Memorial Day Service honoring all who died while serving in the Armed Forces of the United States. The service will take place at Cedar Hill Cemetery (880 E. Wolfensberger Rd, Castle Rock, CO 80109) on Monday, May 29, 2017 at 10:00 am.
Castle Rock Memorial Day Run and March
This year is the third annual Colorado Veterans Project Memorial Day Run & March in Castle Rock, and is open to uniformed military, veterans, civilians of all ages and dogs, too! The event consists of a friendly competition that also helps feed homeless Veterans. Non-perishable food will be collected at the event. This year’s run will take place on Saturday, May 27th at the Douglas County High School in Castle Rock (2842 Front St, Castle Rock, CO 80104). Register by clicking here. All registration fees and donations go directly to helping Colorado Veterans.
More Memorial Day 2017 Colorado events
- Veterans Memorial Day Tribute – Founded in the year 2000, this annual Tribute honors Colorado’s fallen heroes and their families. This year’s event will include inspiring music, a veterans remembrance wreath laying ceremony, and more. The Tribute will take place at 1340 Sherman Street, Denver, CO 80203 – at the POF Hall, just south of the state capital building on Sat, May 27, 2017 from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM MDT
- H2O’Brien Outdoor Pool – Operated by the Parker Parks and Recreation Department, this popular outdoor pool will open for the season on Memorial Day weekend. The pool, which is a favorite destination for residents of Parker as well as anyone hoping to enjoy a day lounging and playing in the sun, offers water slides, a water-filled play area, a spray garden, and concessions for lunch and snacks.
- Denver Day of Rock – On Saturday, May 27, 2017, this free music festival will feature five stages with live music on Downtown Denver’s 16th Street Mall. The event, which is designed for music-lovers of all ages, benefits Amp the Cause, which provides support to local non-profit organizations.
- Old Colorado City – Territory Days – This annual event is celebrating its 40th year! The festivities will take place from May 27th to May 29th on Colorado Avenue between 23rd Street and 27th Street in Colorado Springs. The festivities will include food, crafts, live entertainment, street performances and a tribute to fallen members of the military. Bring the whole family to this popular annual celebration.
- Boulder Creek Festival – The Boulder Creek Festival is an annual tradition that has taken place on Memorial Day weekend in Boulder for the past 25 years. This year, the festival will run from May 27th through May 29th. From food vendors to carnival rides, this event is fun for people of all ages. One of the unique aspects of the Boulder Creek Festival is the Rubber Duck Race that takes place in Boulder Creek. Sponsor one or more ducks, and you might win a prize!